The last time you reached for the Highway Code was probably when you were learning to drive. Until the 29th March you can have your say in a consultation launched by the Highways Agency concerning high speed roads. This includes the controversial smart motorway scheme and those ‘X’ signs.
This consultation seeks views on proposed changes to The Highway Code to improve safety for users of motorways and high-speed roads.
The proposed changes include new and additional guidance on:
- the availability, appearance, and safe use of emergency areas;
- the use of variable speed limits to manage congestion;
- the use of the red ‘X’ sign to close lanes and provide a safer area for the people and vehicles involved in incidents and roadworks;
- the use of hard shoulders that become extra lanes during periods of congestion;
- how road users can help keep themselves safe in the event of a breakdown;
- how safety cameras are employed to promote compliance with speed limits and lane closures.
To have your say, head to the Open Consultation on the GOV.UK website