Getting your environmental compliance in order is no waste of time.
Our environmental law specialists undertake both proactive and reactive matters to ensure your business adheres to the plethora of environmental regulations.
Our specialist team has three fundamental objectives:
- To advise on how to protect your business from enforcement or civil claims
- To advise on business enhancement through keeping abreast of permitting regulations and opportunities to maximise profit
- To protect your business and its reputation from claims or enforcement if taken against you.
The law applicable to commercial and domestic waste activities is extensive. It is little wonder, when the regulations are frequently updated or have transitional arrangements attached to them, that exemptions or permissions are missed or under-utilised.
The introduction of unlimited financial penalties for many environmental offences also places a greater emphasis on ensuring compliance.
Our lawyers have extensive experience in working collaboratively to provide early intervention in enforcement proceedings to reduce the prospect of court action (for both criminal and civil matters).
Protecting you and your business is paramount to ensuring your reputation is maintained.
We advise on:
- Enforcement proceedings brought by local authorities and the Environment Agency
- Waste permitting regulations and exemptions
- Disposal of waste (hazardous or non hazardous ) in construction or demolition
- Haulage and distribution measures relating to the conveyance of waste and hazardous materials
Our Partner-led environmental team identifies the aims and objectives of our clients before seeking to achieve fast resolution with practical solution measures, as well as providing ongoing advice on preventative measures.
- A waste transfer station was accused of exceeding their maximum permitted activities. Our regulatory and litigation lawyers liaised urgently with Environmental Agency inspectors and resolved the situation without enforcement or adverse ‘clean up’ costs.
- We successfully defended a company accused of failing to have the requisite permit for a mobile demolition plant.
- Successful representation of land owners who faced prosecution for exceeding the permission granted by local authorities for land development for a golf course. These limits of permission are a common area of misunderstanding.
- We acted for a company accused of the unlawful transfer of radioactive material.