With offices in Bedford, Cambridge and Milton Keynes, Woodfines’ Agribusiness and Rural Property team is comprised of a number of lawyers from a mix of disciplines including company and commercial, wills and tax, real estate, regulatory, employment and litigation.

Our approach is tailored to the particular requirements of our clients whether it be a team organised to deal with the sale or purchase of a large farming company or an individual lawyer carrying out the transfer of land or dealing with an employment related issue.

In our experience, rural property goes outside the business envelope. With an emphasis on fully understanding the situation at hand we aim to provide individual solutions and to serve the agricultural and rural community by working closely with other professionals on a long term basis.

Here at Woodfines, we work with our clients’ accountants and land agents and are able to deal with all manner of property related issues, tax and general legal problems.

Our services include dealing with:

  • Farming partnership agreements
  • Farm Business Tenancies
  • Tenancies under the Agricultural Holdings Act 1986
  • Management contracting and share farming
  • Sale and acquisition of farms and farm land
  • Sporting rights
  • Grazing agreements
  • The effect of the Common Agricultural Policy reforms
  • Other land issues such as pipelines, telecommunications sites and wayleaves
  • Use of redundant farm buildings for general business use
  • Sale and acquisition of farming and agribusiness companies
  • Minerals and waste
  • Common land
  • Employment law issues
  • Regulatory law, including road transport matters
  • Private client issues, including Wills, LPA’s and Succession.

For help or assistance with matters related to agriculture, please email a member of the Agriculture Team.


Read our newsletters for Agriculture & Farming:

  • 2017, ‘Meet the Smiths‘ – includes farm based businesses, wind turbines, Public Inquiries, and losing land to new developments.
  • 2018, ‘Do Mr Smith’s Tractors Need MOT’s?‘ – includes road transport for agricultural vehicles, pre-nuptial agreements, succession planning, and advice for setting up small farm-based businesses.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.